The APAC Conference is the only Pan-Asian American conference at The University of Texas at Austin. Attendees will explore Asian American issues, develop professional skills, and learn about cross-identity and cross-race relations through workshops. The conference is FREE and will take place on April 18, 2015 from 9-5 PM at The University of Texas at Austin. Attendees will be provided food, a t-shirt, and conference materials. This year, the conference is co-hosted by the Asian Desi Pacific Islander American Collective (APAC) and the Center for Asian American Studies (CAAS).
WHAT IS BREAKTHROUGH?
"Breakthrough" is this year's theme for the APAC Conference. There are many barriers in our lives. Perhaps you're trapped in the Asian American bubble or you're afraid to speak in front of large crowds. Or maybe you're unsure what to think about Ferguson since all your friends have different opinions about it. We want to do things that seem much bigger than ourselves, but these barriers are always holding us back. Let's break through these barriers. Let's challenge ourselves to go beyond our comfort zones. Let's make an impact in the world.
Our workshops cover topics, such as:
- Asian American Identity
- "Yellow Fever" / Fetishization of Asian American Women
- Asian American Portrayal in the Media
- Public Speaking
- Leadership on Campus
- Being a Good Ally in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) Community
- Domestic Violence
- And more
To empower individuals in the Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) community to act as agents of social change and create a cohesive network of leaders who will strive to work towards creating a voice in the APIDA community.
- Empower individuals to act as leaders in their communities.
- Unite the APIDA community with a common goal.
- Educate the APIDA community of social justice issues that affects them as well as issues that affect those in other marginalized groups.
SPECIAL THANKS TO...
- Student Government
- University Co-op