WHAT IS THE APAC CONFERENCE?
The APAC Conference is the only Pan-Asian American conference at The University of Texas at Austin. Attendees will explore Asian American issues, develop professional skills, and learn about cross-identity and cross-race relations through workshops. The conference is FREE and will take place on April 16, 2016 from 11-5:30 PM at The University of Texas at Austin. Attendees will be provided food, a t-shirt, and conference materials. This year, the conference is co-hosted by the Asian Desi Pacific Islander American Collective (APAC), Center for Asian American Studies (CAAS), and Asian Americans for Fine Arts and Humanities (AAFAH).
This year's theme for Breakthrough is "Metamorphosis." Metamorphosis is a marked change in character or function. Our focus for this conference is for students to challenge themselves to go through personal transformation, development, and growth--- either by learning how to appreciate their identity, shifting from limiting beliefs, or deciding to live out their values. By transforming our thinking, we can BREAKTHROUGH barriers and make an impact in the world.
Attendees will explore Asian American issues, develop professional skills, and learn about cross-identity and cross-race relations through workshops. Discussion and debate of these issues are facilitated by keynote speakers and workshops.
- Our workshops cover topics, such as:
- Asian Americans and Nutrition
- Asian Beauty: Redefined
- Understanding Personal Narratives and Asian American Mental Health
- Asian American in Media
- Solidaritiy and Anti-Blackness in Our Communities
- South Asian Diasporic Identities and Histories
- Interrupting Rape Culture
- Leadership development
- And more
To empower individuals in the Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) community to act as agents of social change and create a cohesive network of leaders who will strive to work towards creating a voice in the APIDA community.
- Empower individuals to act as leaders in their communities.
- Unite the APIDA community with a common goal.
- Educate the APIDA community of social justice issues that affects them as well as issues that affect those in other marginalized groups.